"Amma, Amma, AMMAAAA!"



We have been off line for two days and we need you to pray.

Thursday was, well, how do I put it...horrible and wonderful all at the same time.

Malar, a new student from one of the other IGL homes (they have over 15 orphanages) was about to get the worst news a girl of 18 could get; her mother died.

Gyathri, an instructor called me out of class with her cell clutched in her hand a look of terror on her face. We quickly stepped out of the class leaving Vicki with the girls and Annie was downstairs preparing for the switching of classes. Gyathri said they had not had this situation before, "You must help us Auntie."

Malar's mother has been ill for some time to the point where she could not care for her children. Meanwhile the father drinks the money intended for her mothers hospital care and has a new wife which landed Malar and her three sisters in an orphanage.

I suggested we take Malar to the staff room for privacy and tell her there. The cell phone rang. It was Malar's nine year old sister. Gyathri instructed the girl to say only that their mother was in the hospital so we could get her to the office...not a chance. This terrified baby girl screamed the terrible truth into her eldest sisters ear. Malar returned her sister's screams.

We barely made it down to the bottom of the stairwell where I leaned against the wall holding her back to me while she beat at her enemy, the truth. The girls who were helping Annie move benches, dropped them and ran to their friend. After a brief time of confusion, students were back in class rooms and we were able to calm Malar enough to get her to the office.

I had just taught Joe Coffey's message on asking God to "strengthen, root, and fill" our hearts with Himself and His love the previous Sunday to the women's Bible study. The assignment was to pray the prayer found in the passage every day. Today (one week later at the same Bible study) we discussed how God had prepared us for that moment. How do we love someone who is in that much pain?

It happened very fast; scooping Malar up into my arms as I sat in a chair, I cradled, rocked and patted her as she sobbed "Amma, Amma, AMMAAA!" (translated: MOTHER). Her voice will never leave me, her tears will always be on my face, and her broken heart will always be felt beating against mine. It seemed as if time stood still as I alternately sang into her ear and whispered "shhhhhh, shhhhhh". 

Annie and Vicki were amazing. They calmly walked the frightened students through what had happened and went to prayer. Vicki found Malar's close friend and brought her into the office to join the three students who had taken leadership and were ministering to their grieving friend. In the mean time the Indian instructors sprung into action, arranging for transportation and pooling their OWN money to give Malar. I asked why? ... unable to rely on her fathers help, she could now go home with some dignity and bury her mother. I asked if we could help and made up the small difference needed.

Students ran back to the girls hostel for a change of clothes (Malar was in her nursing school uniform). They took Malar to the restroom and dressed her.

I asked for Annie and Vicki to come to pray for Malar and say "good-bye". I could not pray, but they did; so sweet and tender. I remember Annie simply saying, "she's too young Lord". I could barely bring myself to kiss her and let her go face this tremendous task ahead.

The two male instructors pulled up on their motorcycles. Navamani (female Christian instructor) got on the back of one bike and Malar got on the back of the other. Malar was escorted by bus to the waiting van from the home that would take her the rest of the way to her sisters to arrange the burial of their mother.

We then decided to have the students leave for lunch and come back out of uniform just to talk it through and call it a day. Annie took the photo on this page after the students left for lunch. They NEVER leave their books or anything behind, especially their Bibles because there are precious few of them. We were all in shock to say the least.

We have no further news since she left. Please pray for Malar, her sisters, the college students and staff here at Sharon Gardens.

As God Allows,
Karen (Vicki & Annie)

0 comments: